The Folk Dancing Gild sponsors a Contra Dance at the Arden Gild Hall in north-eastern Delaware. Dances feature live bands and callers from Maine to North Carolina, a nice floor, and much more! Regular Admission is $10.00, $9.00 Arden Club members, $5 students. Join us on Facebook.
The Arden Contra Dance is a special place to dance to live music and to have fun with old and new friends. We are blessed with great musicians and callers, supported by our talented sound team. We have a beautiful hall, and the support of the Arden Club as a whole. We face some important challenges. Read more…
The Folk Dancing Gild also sponsors Israeli and International folk dances, square dances, and line dances on Wednesday nights.
- Dances are usually first Sundays from 2:00 pm to 5:00pm, with a lesson for new dancers starting at 1:30pm. Exceptions are posted below.
- March 1: Tater Patch with Susan Taylor calling contras and squares
- Judy Hough-Goldstein and Marge Sume (fiddles), Sheldon Sandler (banjo), Tony Sume (guitar), and Richard Gordon (bass).
- Pot luck supper at Donna and Chris’ house after the dance.
- April 12: Kith and Kin with calling by Hilton Baxter
- Kirsten Erwin (whistles and flute), Adam Oleksa (fiddle), Josh Burdick (fiddle) & Ben Kennedy (piano)
- Second Sunday, not Easter Sunday
- Join us at El Diablo Burritos after the dance.
- May 3: Matt, Dave, and Paul with calling by Janine Smith
- Matt Clark (fiddle), Dave Wiesler (piano and guitar), and Paul Morrissette (bass)
- Birthday Celebration for Karen Warren
- June 7: Tempest with calling by Mark Hillegonds
- Tim Ball (fiddle), Chuck Abel (Guitar) and Eric Metzgar (drums)
- Tempest brings a progressive, jazzy sound to the stage, providing a tantalizing blend of New England, Celtic, Old Time, and French-Canadian sets infused with elements of pop, funk, and world music.
- Pool and pizza party ($9 for both) after the dance.
Directions for Traveling Dancers
From Philadelphia and north:
Take I95 south to Delaware line.
Use I495 to take the Naamans Rd. exit.
Turn right and head west for 1.7 miles.
Turn left at the light on Marsh Rd/Rt 3.
Turn left at the next light on Harvey Rd.
Turn right at the next light on Orleans Rd. The Gild Hall is 150 yds on left.
From Baltimore, Newark DE and south:
Take I95 north through Wilmington.
Exit at the Harvey Road exit, 5 miles north of Wilmington.
Turn left on Harvey Road.
Turn left at the third light on Orleans Rd. The Gild Hall is 150 yds on left.
2126 The Highway, Arden, DE 19810
If you would like to play or call for the Arden Contra Dance, please contact Chris Deephouse at 302.477.1867 or chris|at|deephouse.name.