THE ARDEN SHAKESPEARE GILD continues a 100-year tradition of community Shakespeare in the historic village of Arden, Delaware. A member organization of the Arden Club, the gild is dedicated to including everyone with an interest in Shakespeare, both as audience and as participant. The gild produces one of Shakespeare’s plays each summer in the open-air Frank Stephens Memorial Theater in Arden. Each winter our members direct a Young Actors Workshop for kids from age 6 through high school. The gild also sponsors lectures, readings and social activities throughout the year.
MONTHLY MEETINGS. The Arden Shakespeare Gild meets in the Gild Hall on the first Wednesday of each month (except June). Our business meeting at 7:30 is followed around 8pm by informal scenes. Newcomers are always welcome. The Gild Hall is located just south of Harvey Road at Orleans Road; our address is 2126 The Highway, Arden, Delaware 19810.
“…the spring, the summer,
The chilling autumn, angry winter, change
Their wonted liveries; and the mazed world
By their increase, now knows not which is which.”
— A Midsummer Night’s Dream
SHAKESPEARE DINNER NOV. 21 Laura Wallace and her crew will be cooking the Arden Club’s Saturday night dinner. And you’ll hear about this summer’s Shakespeare production, Troilus and Cressida. The dinner menu is:
• French lentil salad on lettuce
• Parsnip patties with chives and side of bacon
• Rice pilaf
• Broccolini with honey and soy sauce and sesame seeds
• Pete Lounsbury’s apple crisp topped with vanilla ice cream!
Dinners are $11 for Arden Club members; $13 non-members; $6 child-size. Call the Dinner Gild Reservation Line, (302) 792-7139 or email: email@example.com by 6pm Thursday, Nov. 19 to make a reservation. See the Dinner Gild webpage for more about Saturday Club dinners.
Troilus and Cressida AUDITIONS Jan. 25 & 26. Call-backs Jan. 28. Jim Ewald directs.
2016 SUMMER PRODUCTION: Troilus and Cressida directed by Jim Ewald. Performances (8 of them!) June 10-11, 16-19, 24-25.
Stages in the Ardens
There are three stages in Arden, two of which are owned and managed by the Arden Club:
- The Gild Hall Stage is the rain location for Shakespeare Gild productions. It is available for rental as part of upper Gild Hall. Seating for 250 indoors. Details.
- The Moonlight Theater, adjacent to the Gild Hall, is a lovely venue for occasional Shakespeare events, concerts, and weddings. Seating for 100 outdoors in a grass-lined amphitheater. Rental Details.
- The Field Theater is the outdoor site for Shakespeare Gild productions and is available for rental by calling the Village of Arden Secretary at (302) 475-3516. A typical fee for a wedding is $100. CLICK HERE for more detailed information about The Field Theater. The Field Theater was one of the first things “built” in Arden when it was founded in 1900. Even before building their houses, early Arden residents laid out this stage with a huge granite boulder as a backdrop so they could do Shakespeare. The stage and Shakespeare are still very much a part of everyday life in Arden!